Are you getting to the stage where you are thinking the proposal is coming or you’ve started discussing the next step in your relationship?
Once you’re married it is a legal partnership, you are joined as a couple and sometimes this can change the dynamics within your relationship.
It is always good to discuss your reasons for looking at the next step of marriage, they could include:
- Simple – you love each other
- It is religiously important to you both
- You want to provide a stable environment for any children that may be involved from previous partners or you may have together
- You want to show your commitment to each other
- It’s a great excuse for a party
It you are unsure if marriage is the right step for you both you could consider:
- Seeing a councilor to discuss your relationship
- Speak to a member of your church
- Speak openly with family
Though it seems obvious, and you have probably already discussed it, you do want to consider that you both agree on aspects that are involved in a permanent commitment, some of which may include:
- Where you will live
- How will you deal with finance
- How will you handle disagreements
- Do you both want children
- If you have children from previous relationships how will your marriage affect them
- Do you agree on what you want for the children and how they shall be raised
- How will you deal with each other’s families
- Future goals as a couple
- Future goals of each of you individually
- Will you support each other emotionally
We value your feedback so please feel free to leave a comment or review at the bottom of the page. Thank you.