Below are some great questions that you can ask the creator of your wedding cake.
These questions are a guideline only, ask the questions which are relevant to you.
Take images of what you like to your appointment with the cake maker.
If you also look at their designs it may be a tough decision as some cakes are a work of art.
Ensure your photographer gets plenty of photographs of the cake because once it is cut there is no turning back.
- How big does our cake need to be to feed the number of guests we have attending?
- Do you have our wedding date available? If the baker has other bookings for that date then you want to be confident they have enough staff to handle the number of cakes that they are scheduled to deliver on the same day as yours.
- How far in advance should we order the cake?
- Do we receive a contract?
- Who will make our cake, the head baker or an apprentice?
- How long will a wedding cake keep?
- How do you price your cakes?
- Do you charge by the slice?
- Do you charge by the size of each tier?
- Is a tasting included in the fee or is this an additional charge?
- Do the ingredients, flavours and icing change the pricing?
- What is the minimum per person cake cost?
- Do you have a “menu” or brochure of cake designs and pricing I can take with me to peruse?
- Can you give me any recommendations to get maximum value for my budget?
- Do you provide or rent cake toppers, cake cutting knife, cake stands etc and what are the fees?
- Are there any additional fees we have not covered?
- How much deposit is required and when is the final payment due?
- What is your refund policy if we have to cancel our order?
- What happens if we are not happy with the cake?
- Do you do prop cakes. A tiered cake that has a few artificial tiers and the main cake which we cut. If so are you able to provide cake that could be cut in the kitchen and served from the venue to the guests artificial?
- If we wanted a cake with cupcakes on a stand can you do this also?
- Do you have a portfolio of designs? This is a good starting point if you are going in blind and not sure what you are looking for.
- How long have you been in business?
- Are you licensed and insured?
- How many weddings have you done?
- Where did you receive training?
- Can you provide contact for recent brides for references?
- Are you a member of any associations?
TRANSPORT, DELIVERY & SET UP
- What are the fees for delivery?
- Do you decorate the cake table?
- Is there a fee for setup of the cake?
- How will our cake be transported?
- Will the cake be transported in a refrigerated vehicle?
- How many cakes will be delivered on the same day?
- What happens if the cake is damaged in transit or during set up?
- What are our filling choices?
- Do you work with fondant or buttercream?
- Can you make sugar flowers?
- If we choose fresh flowers, will you liaise with my florist?
We value your feedback so please feel free to leave a comment or review at the bottom of the page. Thank you.